Cannabidiol (CBD), one of the compounds found in cannabis, is at the forefront of the wellness movement these days — and for good reason.
Initial research shows this nonpsychoactive cannabinoid that doesn’t get you high can be useful in the treatment of a number of ailments, including:
- chronic pain
- skin conditions
- some seizure disorders
Because of its burgeoning popularity, CBD products can be found everywhere from big box health aisles in Sephora to smaller boutiques and dispensaries. Available in vape pens and gummies to skin care products and smoothies, it seems like there’s something for everyone interested in trying CBD.
And since we’re a culture that loves its coffee, it didn’t take long for coffee shops around the country to start serving CBD-infused brews.
Should you try CBD-infused coffee?
Proponents claim the mixture of CBD and caffeine is a genius way to take the edge off the coffee jitters while simultaneously getting the benefits of your daily CBD dose.
Harvard physician and cannabis medicine specialist Jordan Tisher, MD, points to the water-repellent nature of CBD oil as one reason CBD coffee shouldn’t be part of your morning routine.
“Cannabinoids hate water [they’re hydrophobic] and will, like oil, not mix in. As you drink the beverage, most of the CBD will stick to the cup, and won’t go down the hatch with the drink,” he explains.
A study on cannabis tea also found that temperature affects the CBD, meaning the dose you get wouldn’t be consistent with cold or room temperature drinks.
Considering both characteristics of CBD, people who take specific doses for medical conditions like seizure disorders shouldn’t use CBD-infused coffee as their method of administration, since there’s no way to be sure of the exact dose you actually ingest.
CBD Infused Peppermint Chocolate Espresso
Sean Markey, publisher of cannabis education website Cannahealth and self-proclaimed coffee snob, is a CBD coffee believer. He mixes up a delicious CBD-infused espresso brew every morning. Here’s his recipe, and if you like your coffee fancy, you’re going to want to try this!
- Espresso or coffee
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened drinking chocolate
- 1/2 tsp. sugar, or whatever sweetener you prefer
- 1/4–1/2 cup creamer
- Preferred dose of peppermint-flavored CBD oil, such as Lord Jones CBD Infused Tincture in Peppermint
- Make a double shot of espresso, then set aside. You can also substitute a strong cup of coffee.
- Place the drinking chocolate and sweetener in a mug.
- Drop your CBD tincture directly onto the drinking chocolate.
- Pour the espresso onto drinking chocolate and mix (milk frother optional).
- Heat creamer in microwave for 30 seconds or on the stovetop until just below boiling.
- Pour the hot creamer into the mug mixture.
- Blend all ingredients in the mug with milk frother for a nice finish.
Bonus step: Reserve a little bit of creamer in a microwave-safe container and blend it thoroughly with the milk frother. Pour foam on top of your finished CBD espresso for a luxurious finish. Enjoy!
Even if marijuana is legal in your state, it continues to be illegal under federal law. While there are some claims that CBD derived from hemp (rather than a cannabis plant) is legal in all 50 states, other reports point out legality isn’t so straightforward. We suggest checking your state’s laws regarding CBD oil.